Words and photo by Brittney M. Walker
I recently learned that the Optima is Kia’s best selling vehicle … and now I know why. On a recent drive in California (Kia’s top market in the U.S.), I experienced some Kia fandomonium for myself while checking out the 2016 Optima. From its curb appeal to it’s luxurious interior, the Optima is high on my list of all time favorites. Let me tell you why.
- Sexy Inside And Out – Most women want a mate who is appealing both on the outside AND the inside. Great looks, plus great personality. A soul mate who knows what you like, what you need and always delivers more than you expect. That, ladies, is the definition of the Optima. Outside, it looks great whether it’s sitting still in your driveway or passing admirers on the street. Inside, my test drive model had all the fixings, including climate controlled leather seats, for both the driver and all the passengers.
- Likes Your Friends – The Optima is great car for date nights and excursions with friends. When I was toting around passengers, getting everyone’s opinion about the Optima, they expressed surprise that they were so comfortable in this mid-sized sedan. Even the back seats were roomy and super comfy. Many of my passengers said, “Oh, I like this car” and “You can drive me around any time.”
- The Optima Will Protect You – The ultimate test drive includes a road trip to somewhere cool, or just somewhere that requires lots of driving, different roads and varying traffic conditions. That’s how you really get to know your potential future car. As per usual, I took the car on a four-hour trip via some California highways and tested out the safety features. Most Kia vehicles offer great features and I discovered something unique about the cruise control. I set the speed and when the cars in front of me slowed down, so did my Optima. Initially, I freaked out and pressed the brake to regain full control. Later, I realized that the car is smart. It slows down when cars in front of it slow down. Now that I’ve experienced it, I think all cars should have this feature.
- About Your Financial Future – Kia has done it again and I’m not sure how. Somehow Kia has found a way to design a car that looks and feels like a luxury car but is very affordable, even with all the extra options. This set of wheels starts at about $22,000, which means that you can still buy those shoes and that bag you wanted too.
- 2016 Kia Optima
- Starts at $22,140
- MPG is 25/37 (city/hwy)
- Fave feature: Advanced Smart Cruise Control (ASCC) that reads the speed of the car in front of you and adapts accordingly.